6 replies to this topic

#1 Uncle Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,993 posts
  • Interests:hunting, trapping, fishing, mushrooming

Posted 15 September 2009 - 11:37 AM

Here in Pa other then big game hunting hunting we have to limit our shotgun capacity to three shots...So we have to have a shotgun plug inserted in our tube magazines.

Notice when you buy a Model 500 Mossberg.....You take it home....Go out into the field and you can't get shells to work into the magazine. There is a plug in there and you need to cut it a bit...In this case the Mossberg just hae a dowel rod for the plug...So you have to cut it off at the right spot so it will accept only two shotgun shells.. Heard someone tell me they had to do that for their Brownig BPS too....I don't remember doing that to mine???

I just purchased a Benelli......Um was so nice it had the plug in it...I took it to a safe place and put in all three type shells that it takes. What a rewarding surprise that I did not have to cut it at all to make the 2 3/4, 3. and or the 3 1/2 two each shells to fit...Neat thing is 2 3/4 will only allow two to enter as will the 3 1/2 incher. Thing was kind of like a computer...No matter what size it was I did not have to play around in there where the plug was.....

So far I have had to cut the Mossberg 500 20 gauge and the Mossberg 500 410. However I really think that Mossberg did this to make it a single shot should a mom or dad want the kid to hunt with a single shot first??????However should you get a gun and it will not take the two each shells it could be that you will need to reduce the plug a bit...make sure you find that area of gun manual that explains this and cut it to the size it recommends.

Also might be good that you have the gun dealer cut and adjust it for you before you take it home...Just in case you do not know how to cut a wooden dowel rod to make it the appropriate size in a gun magazine....

#2 Mongojoe

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • 8,723 posts
  • Interests:My family, trapping, predator calling, hunting, shooting, guns, airguns, fishing, handloading ... And now, this here computer, altho I'm totally computer stupid.

Posted 15 September 2009 - 11:58 AM

I always just used a standard, new, unsharpened, pencil in my pump shotguns, and it always worked just fine for me... But here the only time a shotgun requires a "plug", is for quail and migratory game birds, and so the 2 3/4 inch shells are all I used for this...and I have only done it with 12 and 20 gag. guns.... I admit, however, that I have never tried it with a MOSSBERG, or a BENELLI pump gun, or with any semi-auto shotguns.

#3 DJnRF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Interests:Most everything these days can be stated as "formerly". Hunting, fishing, competition shooting, and many days/nights/weeks of camping or other field experience are now relegated to teaching, lecturing, and writing about. Former associate of Maj. Geo. C. Nonte, a firearms testing and evaluation firm that authored many books and articles on hunting, and firearms. The first writer for Shooting Times. All are now grouped into the field of survival, in which the knowledge, familiarization, and ability with all types of weapons are included. I still have to practice what I teach, lecture on, or write about, but, alas, that is getting to be a real difficult thing. The ole bod doesn't take too kindly for much of that activity these days. (But, don't give me even a shirt button at 300 yds, or it's mine!)
    'A little bit of knowledge is dangerous while a lot leads one astray from the intended idea.'

Posted 15 September 2009 - 08:27 PM

Hmmmmmm ............
Got me to thinking here. Ever since I took the riot gun out of
the trunk lid of my squad car, I have never put a plug in it.
I don't even have one for it, nor have I even thought of making
one. It seems that I forgot that if I want to use one of my
shotguns for hunting that I need a plug in them. Right now,
one gun will hold eight, and the other will hold five. Kinda
much to use for hunting, huh? lol

#4 sunray

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 03:09 AM

Never seen nor heard of any Mossberg mag plug that needed any fitting. None of the Mossberg 500's we sold out of the shop I worked in, long ago, had any plug issues. Including the 8 round mag guns that took an M16 bayonet.
In any case, the 3 rounds in the gun, not just the mag tube, comes from an international treaty between the U.S., Canada and Mexico regarding migratory birds. Has nothing to do with PA.
"...for quail..." Might be an Oklahoma hunting reg thing. Up here, in Ontario, our MNR(Ministry of Natural Resources) decided it'd be 3 rounds in the shotgun for any hunting.

#5 Mongojoe

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • 8,723 posts
  • Interests:My family, trapping, predator calling, hunting, shooting, guns, airguns, fishing, handloading ... And now, this here computer, altho I'm totally computer stupid.

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:09 AM

View Postsunray, on 25 October 2009 - 03:09 AM, said:

"...for quail..." Might be an Oklahoma hunting reg thing.

It probably is...or maybe I should say "was"... Actually it's been quite a few years since I hunted quail, and I just looked at our state regs, and can not find this on the regulations for quail any longer.... However, I did find it under "MIGRATORY GAME BIRDS REGULATIONS".... It states, "No person shall take migratory game birds with a shotgun capable of holding more than three (3) shells, in the magazine and chamber combined, unless otherwise provided." ....and.... "Violations of state migratory game bird regulations are also violations of federal regulations."

#6 JDECS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Interests:Actually, more of a metallurgist, reloader, and paper-puncher than hunter, but I do like to walk around armed like a revolutionary commando.

Posted 25 October 2009 - 01:34 PM

I'm sort of in DJ's position: All *my* shot guns are single or double barrels, but my sweetie's "bed" gun is set up to take out most of the Costa Rican Army before it runs dry. If she ever wants to take it waterfowl hunting, I'll have to remember to cut a plug for it. (The original plug may still exist, but only the crows know where!)

#7 Uncle Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,993 posts
  • Interests:hunting, trapping, fishing, mushrooming

Posted 28 October 2009 - 01:09 AM

Here in Pa the only guns that do not require a plug of any type are our big game guns.. In other words....deer bear, etc we can take out the plug that limits it to three shots...Everything else hunting we need a plug in it it.. Even fox and coyote hunting we best have a three shot plug in it...Now a center fire rifle is different for anything like small game or fox or coyotes...That can have more then three shots in it....

Me thinks this is probably one of those antiquated old Pa game laws that they probably could change and make them equal to other states.....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users