10 replies to this topic

#1 Uncle Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,017 posts
  • Interests:hunting, trapping, fishing, mushrooming

Posted 17 June 2007 - 07:44 PM

Now this is just my opinion. Remember when I was a kid and I hunted with a bow. Hated the days that there was rain because I knew the deer would be bedding down. We would drive with them and we sure flushed quite a few.

However to this day I always feel real good when traveling the Interstates and turnpikes during heavy rains. I know the deer are not moving and they are bedding down.

However I do remember on New Years day I was traveling up Intestate 81 to visit my parents with my children. 12:00 noon and a doe comes up a steep hill and runs right into the side of my Saturn. The Saturn took the blunt of the hit. It actually cracked the outer surface of the Saturn where the deer hit.

I knew right away what had happened. Some hunters must have been hunting grouse, or deer with flintlocks or bow and jumped the doe. The doe in an effort to escape headed up the steep hill right into the side of my car.

Anyway what your feelings on rain and deer movement. Did you ever hit a deer along our major roads at night time when it was raining?

#2 Jamie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • Interests:hunting,shooting,fishing,having fun

Posted 17 June 2007 - 11:02 PM

Out here in the PNW it rains alot. I dont think the deer here care if its raining or not. I havent noticed any change in the way deer, feed, or anything else durring rain or when its not raining. Deer do seem to move around more feeding, right after a good storm.

Jamie

#3 Hairtrigger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 11:09 PM

I was always taught that when it rains deer move

#4 Hairtrigger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 750 posts

I was always taught that when it rains deer move

#5 Hairtrigger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 750 posts

No matter how many times I hit enter!!! :folder:

#6 HumbleHunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:Traditional Archery, Bowfishing, fishing, hunting, shooting and the like......

Posted 19 June 2007 - 04:46 PM

Yeah I'm with you HairTrigger, I've always believed deer travel alot more activily when it's raining. Peter Feducia???? also teaches this.

#7 Val

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Reloading, Rod Making and shooting sports

Posted 21 June 2007 - 06:06 PM

I haven't really noted bedding down in the rain since I have not hunted deer in heavy rain yet. I have noticed that they seem to be bedded down in heavy winds.

#8 Irving

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 06:31 AM

I don't think deer have any set rules. If they did, they would be easier to get. I HAVE noticed that the bigger bucks seem to move more in "bad" weather, especially on windy, cold days in late evening. I don't know why, but I have noticed the correlation too many times. We just can't predict them............

#9 99er

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 09:51 AM

I recon it might depend on how hard it's raining, but for the most part, unless it's a real "gulley washer" I doubt rain affects them much at all ... course I don't plan to stay out in the next really big downpour to find out either !! lol :D :lol:

Kinda on a side note, how many of you have seen a Deer try to shake itself dry (kinda like a dog) ??

99er

#10 Hands

Canadian Adopted

• Global Mod
  • 8,715 posts
  • Interests:Lure collecting, hunting, fishing, reading, and etc.

Posted 26 June 2007 - 12:11 AM

I haven't seen any on the roads during a right downpour (not hawngry enough to go after them in a right downpour!), but just normal raining, I have shot wandering deer a few times.

Excepting years like this one where there are bad droughts...we get tons of rain, so, I'm kinda thinking they don't care so much. But, I've heard tale of folks walking up to a bedded down deer in the hard rain, the more hardcore people...in swamps of all places. (too much ick for me lol )

#11 OkieHunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:Hunting fishing reloading shooting and passing on the heritage of hunting and fishing to young people.

Posted 12 July 2007 - 08:39 PM

Some of the best Bucks I have killed have been in the rain. Rain only bothers the Hunter

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users