Minimum for handgunning deer... Your opinion ?

4 replies to this topic

#1 Mongojoe

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • 8,721 posts
  • Interests:My family, trapping, predator calling, hunting, shooting, guns, airguns, fishing, handloading ... And now, this here computer, altho I'm totally computer stupid.

Posted 23 March 2007 - 11:04 AM

In "common", factory loaded cartridges, I know that many people believe the minimum for deer with a handgun starts with the .41 Magnum... And I also realize that the .44 Magnum is probably the "standard"...and I know that legal or not, a good many deer are taken each year with rimfire .22 cartridges..... But... what do you feel is the minimum handgun cartridge for hunting deer? ...... Personally, I believe it starts with the .357 Magnum...... I still recalled some of the stories I have read over the years about the .357 Magnum. When it was first introduced it was touted as powerful enough for about anything on the planet... I just now did a search and found records of people haveing shot out engine blocks with this cartridge, and takeing such game as moose, elk, wildebeest, and even jaguar, grizzly bear and tigers with it, in both handguns and rifles... at distances I sometimes found difficult to believe.... http://www.leverguns...r/357magnum.htm ... However.... I personally believe it pretty much "tops out" as a hunting cartridge with medium to slightly larger bodied deer, and at ranges, with a handgun, of 50 yards, and perhaps 100 with a rifle.... My wife's last two deer were taken with her .357 Magnum and my handloads.... But what is your opinion as to the mimimum for handgunning deer ?

#2 Uncle Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,960 posts
  • Interests:hunting, trapping, fishing, mushrooming

Posted 23 March 2007 - 11:30 PM

I think the 357 Mag would be OK. I have seen Winchester 357 Mag commercial bullets designated as whitetail deer ammo. If I was going to use the 357 Mag I would make sure that I use a bullet designated for deer. I do have dies for 357 Mag. if I did reload I would make sure to use one designated by a bullet company as acceptable for big game hunting.

#3 Mongojoe

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • 8,721 posts
  • Interests:My family, trapping, predator calling, hunting, shooting, guns, airguns, fishing, handloading ... And now, this here computer, altho I'm totally computer stupid.

Posted 24 March 2007 - 08:00 AM

I agree UB.... In the .357 Mag that my wife used for hunting I loaded 158 grain soft points... Without going to check my records, I believe that I used SPEER bullets... but then too, it may have been the IMI 158 gr. soft points.

#4 Uncle Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,960 posts
  • Interests:hunting, trapping, fishing, mushrooming

Posted 13 May 2007 - 04:38 PM

I have been thinking about getting an Encore single shot pistol for deer hunting. Something to carry when I go deep into the mountains. Neat thing abut the Encore system you can get rifle calibers. I would think that since I do not own a 7MM08 rifle it might be great to get a 7MM08 pistol barrel for the Encore action.

#5 OkieHunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:Hunting fishing reloading shooting and passing on the heritage of hunting and fishing to young people.

Posted 12 July 2007 - 08:42 PM

I have taken Deer with a 357 Mag but I still think it is a bit small. When I handgun hunt it is with a 41 or 44 mag usually. But Since I purchased a 15" 308 Win barrel for my Encore I love this thang. It is a true 200 yard Deer whackin son of a gun.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users