- - - - -

.30 Caliber Carbine question...

9 replies to this topic

#1 Mongojoe

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • 8,723 posts
  • Interests:My family, trapping, predator calling, hunting, shooting, guns, airguns, fishing, handloading ... And now, this here computer, altho I'm totally computer stupid.

Posted 12 December 2006 - 04:10 PM

I just picked up a .30 caliber carbine for a bag of peanuts and a couple of handfulls of dirt...and I can't seem to find what it is worth... A fella that I know came by and said a lady gave him the gun for doing a small job for her, but he didn't need the gun, and he DID need the money she owed him...so he offered it to me at what he was owed........ The only markings I can find on it are..... U.S. CARBINE CALIBER .30 M1, at the front of the receiver...and at the back of the receiver it says... NAT'L. ORD. INC. .... Besides the serial number, that is all that is on it....but there was no magazine with it... However, the magazine from my UNIVERSAL .30 caliber carbine will fit it.... It is in good to very good condition.

Can anyone tell me anything about it, and perhaps what it is worth? ... I'd sure appreciate it.

#2 99er

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 04:35 PM

Mongo,

I'm not sure what they are worth, I'd take a peak at gunbroker, auctionarms, and gunsamerica. Compare it's condition with what you find there.

They sure are cure little buggers thou, haint they? :D :lol:

I had the peep site replaced with open sites on mine and had it totally reblued at that time. That was the 2nd gun I re-did the stock on, not for the love of the gun, but rather for a little more practice before I did my 1st .222 and my .300 Savage Model-99. I sure hope Hemmy don't read this post, but that little .30 Carbine is the gun that I took my very 1st Turkey with. :rofl: :lol:

99er

#3 Mongojoe

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • 8,723 posts
  • Interests:My family, trapping, predator calling, hunting, shooting, guns, airguns, fishing, handloading ... And now, this here computer, altho I'm totally computer stupid.

Posted 12 December 2006 - 05:29 PM

Well, I tried looking at all those places to begin with...and found the little carbines going for 150 to 600 dollars...depending on the maker and the condition...but I could not find any with the markings this one has... I found several of the UNIVERSALS, like the one I already had....... Just to look it over, I just now took it out of the stock...and on the side of the receiver, under the wood, is stamped... SO. EL MONTE CALIF.... if that is any help...... I am going to post this in a couple of forums, and if no one knows, and I can't get ahold of that fella I know in Philly who deals in military guns, I guess I'll ask on that M1 carbine collector's forum.

#4 savage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 11:30 PM

Joe, Go here. If they don't know, There is no answer.

http://americangunri....php?board=39.0

#5 Mongojoe

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • 8,723 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 09:01 AM

Thanks Savage..... I have asked that question at several forums that I am a member of... One fella, a known "gun writer" and field editor of a gun magazine of some note (which I subscribe to, by the way) gave me information on the UNIVERSAL carbine...and I do own a UNIVERSAL that I bought off a fella that was moveing and needed money, several years ago...but then when I asked him if this was the same information as on the NAT'L. ORD. INC. rifle that I just got, he never responded again.

I have found several forums that deal with "Military Surplus", and "replica" guns...and I even found one forum that is dedicated to just M1 Garands and .30 caliber carbines (I really didn't know they were that popular)...but I kinda hate to join, just to ask one question...then never return...LOL

#6 DJnRF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Interests:Most everything these days can be stated as "formerly". Hunting, fishing, competition shooting, and many days/nights/weeks of camping or other field experience are now relegated to teaching, lecturing, and writing about. Former associate of Maj. Geo. C. Nonte, a firearms testing and evaluation firm that authored many books and articles on hunting, and firearms. The first writer for Shooting Times. All are now grouped into the field of survival, in which the knowledge, familiarization, and ability with all types of weapons are included. I still have to practice what I teach, lecture on, or write about, but, alas, that is getting to be a real difficult thing. The ole bod doesn't take too kindly for much of that activity these days. (But, don't give me even a shirt button at 300 yds, or it's mine!)
    'A little bit of knowledge is dangerous while a lot leads one astray from the intended idea.'

Posted 26 December 2006 - 12:10 PM

Hi, Mongojoe!
Before I even get to post on the site I find one question I am able to answer with a reasonable degree of certainty.

Your question about the Nat'l Ord. carbine is easy for me. That was a company in CA back in the 60's that made the carbine. Most of the barrels were new, but all other parts were military, with few exceptions or change. All military parts, tools, and other info works well with their carbines. The one unfortunate with it was the rear site, which tends to get too loose to do any real accurate shooting at times, and that many did not have a slide stop.

As to the value....... In good shape, these rifles fall into the $300 price range. Since the
.30 carbine is not a real good weapon for much hunting application, and very restricted
use for them these days, they do fall into the category of some real fun.

My original was an issued weapon that I got at the time of my commissioning back in
61. As the military was in the process of replacing them, I was able to buy mine for $65 with all the accy's. That included a very rare Camillus Mk 4 with the rubber (looked like the leather) handle, a stock mag holder, three 15 rnd mags, two 30 rnd mags, the M-2 conversion, the full set of Army Arsenal documents and spec plans, and an 800 rnd tin of ammo. Mine was the Inland manufacturer. Unfortunately, it was stolen with all the major stuff back in about 76.

I do have one of the Nat'l Ord, Inc. carbines that I picked up about 20 years back. Very nice shape, and of late I have been seeking to add a few things to it. I was fortunate to have gotten it for the mere price of fixing an old Motorola HT 220 to work on the Ham, 2 meter repeater here. About an hour and a half of my time, and some spare parts from stripped out radios. Not too shabby for one that looked brand new, huh? lol

I hope this info helps you some.

TC, Dave.

#7 Mongojoe

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • 8,723 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 02:09 PM

To begin DJnRF... let me welcome you to the forum... Pull up a stump and make yourself to home.... And thank you for that information.... Actually that tells me quite a bit..... All I bought it for was as a "fun-gun" anyway...and besides, like yours, the price was right...LOL
And you mention that the rear sight gets loose.... Well, the rear sight on this one is loose...and I can't seem to find how to tighten it and make it stay tight... I have thought of replaceing it...but I may just try to find the right position for it, then epoxy it in place and see if that works.

#8 DJnRF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Interests:Most everything these days can be stated as "formerly". Hunting, fishing, competition shooting, and many days/nights/weeks of camping or other field experience are now relegated to teaching, lecturing, and writing about. Former associate of Maj. Geo. C. Nonte, a firearms testing and evaluation firm that authored many books and articles on hunting, and firearms. The first writer for Shooting Times. All are now grouped into the field of survival, in which the knowledge, familiarization, and ability with all types of weapons are included. I still have to practice what I teach, lecture on, or write about, but, alas, that is getting to be a real difficult thing. The ole bod doesn't take too kindly for much of that activity these days. (But, don't give me even a shirt button at 300 yds, or it's mine!)
    'A little bit of knowledge is dangerous while a lot leads one astray from the intended idea.'

Posted 26 December 2006 - 02:31 PM

View PostMongojoe, on Dec 26 2006, 12:34 PM, said:

To begin DJnRF... let me welcome you to the forum... Pull up a stump and make yourself to home.... And thank you for that information.... Actually that tells me quite a bit..... All I bought it for was as a "fun-gun" anyway...and besides, like yours, the price was right...LOL
And you mention that the rear sight gets loose.... Well, the rear sight on this one is loose...and I can't seem to find how to tighten it and make it stay tight... I have thought of replaceing it...but I may just try to find the right position for it, then epoxy it in place and see if that works.

Joe, I thank you for the 'welcome'.
Now, with the problems with that rear sight, it all depends upon just how accurate you
would like to be with the rifle, and, at what distance/s. My personal preference is to
replace it with a good (new if you can find) military combat adjustable sight. That gives
you the best of any accuracy one could want from the carbine. It can be quite accurate
up to 250 yds with a good sight, and even more with really professional shooting
and ammo.

Your idea of the epoxy to hold it in place is not bad if you only plink for fun at a specific
distance. The real problem is to get it to hold in any position long enough to find that
particular spot to epoxy it firmly.

For any real shooting, I would like to get mine set with a slide that has the lock pin and
spring, and to replace the vented metal front handguard with a wood one. As I had
stated, I am looking now for parts to make some changes. I also intend to change the
butt plate to an older military, which mine does not have. I have even considered the
add-on cushion that I have seen for the carbine. (Not that the carbine has any serious
kick to it anyway. lol) Ahhhh, and yes, I also want to change the barrel band to one
with the bayonet stud, and get a bayonet. (I am just used to that part for a military
rifle; even a repro type.) I may even get the parts for a conversion..... just to
satisfy my desire to have one like my original. (I also have an original AR18 with all
the special parts. On those, there is an 'S' before the serial number which indicated
that the weapon was made for selective fire. Mine is not set up for that, but it is one
designed for it. The scope is sure nice, though. One FBI agent thought it beautiful, and
told me that it was worth over $1200 as it was.)

Anyway, I hope this info is good for you.

TC, Dave.

#9 Mongojoe

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • 8,723 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 07:23 PM

Well, I have thought about looking for a replacement sight...I need to find a couple of magazines for it anyway... I have a UNIVERSAL .30 caliber carbine now, and that is all it is used for, as a fun gun. Unlike the NAT'L. ORD carbine, it came with the wooden front handguard... Shortly after buying it I bought 1500 rounds of mil-surp ammo for it too... Actually, I have never even shot the UNIVERSAL...LOL... But my son and son in law have put several hundred rounds thru it, and said it shoots pretty good, but occasionally a round will jam...but, like I said, it is just a "fun gun" anyway, so I'm not overly concerned...but one of these days I may have a gunsmith take a look at it... And this NAT'L. ORD Carbine will fill the same niche...so if I run across a rear sight at a reasonable price, I may pick it up.

#10 DJnRF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 07:49 PM

Get a new spring for it. Carbines had problems at times with the recoil spring
on the operating slide. They would be too weak and cause some jams.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users