"Howling" for coyotes

5 replies to this topic

#1 Mongojoe

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • 8,713 posts
  • Interests:My family, trapping, predator calling, hunting, shooting, guns, airguns, fishing, handloading ... And now, this here computer, altho I'm totally computer stupid.

Posted 04 October 2006 - 09:18 AM

What do you think? ... Is howling a good method for calling coyotes? ... I've had some people tell me that howling was no good for calling coyotes, and really was only good as a "locator call"..... But I had to find out for myself... The very first time I tried my new BILL AUSTIN CALL OF THE COYOTE howler anywhere besides at home or while driveing, Chief and I had been fishing... When we got back up to his BRONCO, and were taking a break from the long, up-hill walk, he suggested we walk down off the hill and give it a try. He grabbed his .30-30, and we walked off the side of the hill and hunkered down in a cluster of sand plum bushes on the sidehill, overlooking the big, treeless valley below... We could see for miles, so I started in to howling and barking. We were only about half serious about it all, and after about 15 minutes, hadn't seen anything resembleing a coyote, so I stood up to leave, as I turned I saw him... A coyote, standing not 10 yards behind where we were setting... The coyote and I stared at each other for a couple of seconds, and I whispered "Chief"... "What?" ...a little louder, "Chief"... "What?" .... By this time the coyote had taken off...so I was much louder this third time, "Chief...coyote!"... By the time Chief stood up and saw him, the coyote was beating-feet down across the south side of the hill, heading for the prairie and the valley below... Chief dusted him with several shots from his .30-30, but with that, the coyote seemed to find a higher gear, and was soon far out of range, and we watched him disappear down the valley below........ That convinced me that howling was not just for locating coyotes, and since that time I have called in A BUNCH of coyotes with that howler, maybe more than that...singlely, in pairs, and a number of times in packs of 3 or more.......and I've even managed to take a few now and then.
.................... If you are only useing a howler to locate coyotes, you are missing out on some serious action.

#2 Uncle Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,914 posts
  • Interests:hunting, trapping, fishing, mushrooming

Posted 04 October 2006 - 05:33 PM

Mongojo thanks to people like you I have found out that howling is an outstanding way to call coyotes.

Way back when I posted about a Texas pro who said that coyote howling does not work well and that food sounds, KIYI , and puppy whines work better.

You responded to that post that howling was productive. You are so right.
I now resurrected all my howlers, The Red Desert, Sceercy, Johnny Stewart, Magnum and Song Dog Crit-R-Call and the Primos Hot Dog to just mention a few.

Some of the Howlers mimic the female coyote some the male coyote. I tell you I can't wait until later on in the season to play head games with one of those seasoned coyotes. Thats what it takes to get them then. They hear the same dying rabbit over and over and over and they know not to come. You get in there do and Interrogation Howl, Coyote Challenge, KIYI, and throw in a food sound over a 45 minute period and you make them drop their guard.

If anything to would be coyote hunters in the East. Remember not to over call. This is so important. You can call for 30 minutes straight through for fox but not for the Eastern Coyote. When you howl and shut up for about 8 minutes they already know where you are.

Again Mongojo I hope you remember responding to the post I speak of. You even talked about the Austin howler you have. By the way I got me two of them too. The female and the male howler. They do not look like much, PVC with a reed in them but they too work outstanding.

Thanks for posting this topic. I might add that here in the East that hunters should not play around with howling to locate coyotes. You just might call one in and not know it. You need to locate them because how can you call them in here in the East if you do not know if they are there. The population densities are not as great as out in the South West or West. Big thing around here now is to get yourself one of those police or fire sirens and get them to howl to that. then you sneak back in the morning and do some food sounds in the early season or some serious howling to get into their head.

#3 Mongojoe

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • 8,713 posts
  • Interests:My family, trapping, predator calling, hunting, shooting, guns, airguns, fishing, handloading ... And now, this here computer, altho I'm totally computer stupid.

Posted 04 October 2006 - 09:08 PM

UB, I remember responding to several different posts in several diffferent forums about howling...LOL.
I only have 3 or 4 different actual coyote howlers... That's not counting open-reed calls like the Tally-Ho, which you can use to make passable howls and barks, as well as other sounds. But I also have a couple of howling tapes too... But I only have one BILL AUSTIN call... It is the CALL OF THE MALE COYOTE... I have found that generally it will bring in the dominate males, and occasionally, the entire pack..... But then here, coyotes are the dominate predator...............................besides me.....LOL

#4 Uncle Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,914 posts
  • Interests:hunting, trapping, fishing, mushrooming

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:37 PM

A few people on my site did not like the Austin coyote calls. They said they could not get them to work correctly. I think they were trying to hard with them. They work better for me by just laying in my hand and kind of letting it float while I do the howls. Recently I purchased the male and the female call together. I have another from years back too. All three do excellent howls.

I would have to say that my favorite calls are the Crit-R-Calls. LOL
I must have about 200 different predator calls but it's the Crit-R-Calls that I take on all hunts. I have 3 magnums and 2 song dogs. I changed the reeds in all 5. Each one does someting different. Either the old male, old female, young male, young female and pups.

Do you ever still order any of the calls yet so you can drive the neighbors nuts on the porch? The Crit-R-Call Song Dog junior just left the way it comes from the vendor is awsome. Does outstanding pups, KIYI, and gauranteed to drive the neighbors nuts.

#5 Mongojoe

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • 8,713 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 08:21 AM

LOL..... Actually, I haven't bought a new predator call in probably 6 or seven years... Since I am unable to hunt any longer, I just didn't see the need.... and besides, I probably have close to 50 calls anyway, many of which, includeing the dozen hand-made custom calls that I won in a drawing a couple of years ago, have never been used. And then I probably have a couple of dozen or so different cassette tapes for my old JS caller too...... The boys (my son and son in law) sometimes use the JS caller and tapes, but they just don't seem interested in learning to use the mouth calls........ So, actually, LOL, like you said, about the only "use" the mouth calls see any more is when I occasionally get bored and go set on the front porch in the evenings, and get the neighborhood dogs all worked up.

#6 99er

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • 7,477 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 10:20 AM

I bought the Lohman "She-Howler" caller last winter, never go around to using it yet though. I recon I'm gunna have to find it and practice a bit ... perhaps at Hunting Camp whilst everyone else is sleeping would be a good time !! :D

99er

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users