Tips on becoming a better trapper

4 replies to this topic

#1 Mongojoe

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • 8,720 posts
  • Interests:My family, trapping, predator calling, hunting, shooting, guns, airguns, fishing, handloading ... And now, this here computer, altho I'm totally computer stupid.

Posted 28 June 2006 - 09:38 AM

When I first started trapping, an "old timer" told me that the more I knew about an animal, the easier it would be to catch him... And to that end I spent quite a bit of time tracking various animals, along creek banks, thru sandy areas, in the snow, across dew laden medows early in the morning, down dirt trails, two-tracks, and roads...anywhere I could follow their tracks...and I DID learn quite a bit doing this... If you enjoy the woods, and getting out, this activity is fun and can only help your trapping and/or hunting knowledge...but don't just "track" the animal. Watch for signs of what he does, where he goes, sign that he leaves...and always ask yourself, "WHY?" ... Why does he go this direction, why does he side-track to this area, why did he mark this particular spot, why did he hesitate here, why did he break into a run, why did he lay up in this particular spot? ....... The more you learn, the better hunter/trapper you will become.

#2 Hands

Canadian Adopted

• Global Mod
  • 8,710 posts
  • Interests:Lure collecting, hunting, fishing, reading, and etc.

Posted 28 June 2006 - 04:16 PM

That's pretty vauable info there Mongo...thanks for posting it! I think I'm gonna give these lessons to the rugrat. She'd enjoy the sam hill out of it. Thanks again!

#3 Uncle Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,947 posts
  • Interests:hunting, trapping, fishing, mushrooming

Posted 28 June 2006 - 11:36 PM

Learn how to do the dirt hole set. You can catch all furbearing animals in the dirt hole set.

#4 Uncle Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,947 posts
  • Interests:hunting, trapping, fishing, mushrooming

Posted 30 June 2006 - 02:27 PM

Also a good way to cut years off your learning curve is to watch how to Trapping videos. The old days you had to read books. Also if you know a trapper tag along with them sometimes to see how they set up and make their sets.

Visit your furbuyer and ask him if you can watch him or his helpers skin fur that other trapper bring in the whole. I learned a lot on skinning furbearing critters by just watching the furbuyer helpers skin all kinds of fur.

#5 Mongojoe

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • 8,720 posts
  • Interests:My family, trapping, predator calling, hunting, shooting, guns, airguns, fishing, handloading ... And now, this here computer, altho I'm totally computer stupid.

Posted 30 June 2006 - 03:45 PM

Very true UB... When I first started there were no videos, and few books... I spent quite a bit of time hanging around a local fur buyer's place, helping where I could, but mostly just watching, and listening to the older, more experienced fellas... But then as time went along, my father in law gave me a big boost in trapping knowledge...then I met and became friends with an older fella, a retired government trapper. He kinda "took me under his wing", and from him I learned things I would never have dreamed, sets that I have never seen or heard of another person makeing even today, lure recipies that he made me promise to never reveal as long as he was alive... He didn't do any predator calling, but I have seen him take over 100 coyotes in a season, and over 200 beaver, just with traps alone, not to mention fox, coon, bobcats, possum, skunk, ect...and not just once, but season after season, until age and health slowed him down........... Ahhh well, so much for reminiscing............ But another excellent way to learn trapping is to join your local and/or state associations, and go to their meetings. They put on various demonstrations...and those fellas are always glad to talk trapping, and help a fella get off on the right foot....... Trapping is one of the only "outdoor sports" that can actually not only pay for itself, but even show a profit if a person is willing to work at it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users