Anyoone ever eat woodchuck or groundhog?

5 replies to this topic

#1 Uncle Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,960 posts
  • Interests:hunting, trapping, fishing, mushrooming

Posted 19 June 2006 - 12:44 PM

I almost did when I was a kid. I started par boiling it in a big pot until I saw all the scum come up to the top. I ended up giving it to the dog. He did have a big smile on his face as he went to town on the boiled woodchuck.

Some people say it taste good. Just like...............chicken...... I mean rabbit. Rabbit does taste like chicken too. everything taste like chicken.

#2 bythebook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,fishing,shooting and reloading, also boating when I have time. Have gotten more into shooting and reloading the last few years. I started loading in 1966 and after a few years I got away from it a little.

Posted 19 June 2006 - 01:58 PM

Yes Sir I have eat many of them. Par-boil them and flour and fry them nothing better. My better half even stuffed and roasted them and they were great. You think what they eat, which nothing but the best greens, Alfala clover and grass. As I have said any body that can eat Chicken should be able to eat ground hog. The young ones are the best and tenderest to eat. :P

#3 Mongojoe

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • 8,721 posts
  • Interests:My family, trapping, predator calling, hunting, shooting, guns, airguns, fishing, handloading ... And now, this here computer, altho I'm totally computer stupid.

Posted 19 June 2006 - 05:03 PM

Well, I have never eaten one...but then growing up here, there were never any around here... It is just the last 15 or 20 years that they have started showing up in my area.... I have heard of people around here eating them, and, I suppose I would try one if I were at someone's home and that's what they were haveing.

#4 Hands

Canadian Adopted

• Global Mod
  • 8,710 posts
  • Interests:Lure collecting, hunting, fishing, reading, and etc.

Posted 19 June 2006 - 07:44 PM

I haven't, but I'd try it. Isn't it kinda in the rodent category? But, I mean...squirrels are too, yes? And they're some good eating!
LoL..I'd try it, might actually like it.

#5 hemmy

Global Moderator

• Global Mod
  • 13,440 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 08:27 PM

Did it one time.Never again :D

#6 Sodak Jim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • Interests:Varmint hunting, fishing, target shooting, trap, sporting clays, and reloading

Posted 25 July 2006 - 01:59 AM

The closest thing I've had would be squirrel. I hope I never get that hungry, but I would if you held a gun on me!, and we were all out of weed rats.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users